Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

2012 Race Schedule

It's December, and that means it's time to start thinking about what races I might want to run next year. Ray over at DCRainmaker has two great posts (here and here) on a more scientific approach to selecting races (he does triatholons, so his are focused on insane races like Ironmans and such), but for me, I just picked races that either seemed fun, fit into my schedule well, or are related to a cause that I believe in.

So far, on my calendar, I have the following races in mind (some being definite, and others being tentative). I have indicated any race that I am already signed up for.

January

Walt Disney World Half Marathon (January 7) (Registered)

My second half marathon, and I am gunning for a PR. My main goal is to break the two-hour barrier, with a secondary/dream goal of 1:57. I'm running this race with a couple friends, and we're all traveling down to Florida together for the race and a vacation together.


February
No races planned

March

Get Lucky 7K (Minneapolis) (March 17, St. Patrick's Day) (Registered)
I have run this race before, and it is pretty fun. You also get a pretty sweet hoodie, and a couple beers from Kieran's, The Local, The Lifey, or the Cooper Pub.

April
Race for Justice (April 22)
The Race for Justice is for the benefit of the Legal Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP) of Minnesota, which helps lawyers who go into (low-paying) public interest positions pay back their law school student loans.


May
Lincoln (Nebraska) National Guard Half Marathon (May 6) (Registered)
I am running this race with my cousin (who lives in Lincoln), who has done a couple half marathons herself (including this one). I was born in Lincoln, am a HUGE Nebraska Cornhuskers football fan, and get to finish this race on the 50 Yard Line of
Memorial Stadium. How cool is that?


June
Suburban Adventure Run 10K (Lakeville, MN) (June 9) (Tentative)

This race sounds like it has some trail running, some road running, and some running on sand. It should be interesting.

July
Pan-O-Prog 4 Mile Run (Lakeville, MN) (July 7) (Tentative)
This is my home-town race that is part of the community's 4th of July Fesitval the PANORAMA OF PROGRESS! (aka the "Pan-O-Prog"). Sure it sounds dumb, but it's fun.

August

Courage Center 5K Your Way (Unknown, but likely Aug. 11 or Aug. 18)
This 5K is for the Courage Center, which does all kinds of great treatment for trauma patients (particularly for brain or spine injuries). My sister in-law also works there.

September
Mill City Suds Run (5K) (Minneapolis) (Sept. 10) (Tentative)
This is a very fun run where people dress up in costumes, and they give you beer at the end. Mmmm... Beer.

October

Twin Cities Marathon (Oct. 7, 2012)
If all goes well this year, than this will be my first every full marathon. I'm getting excited just thinking about it, and it's 11 months away!



Twin Cities Monster Dash Half Marathon (October 27)
I have run both the Half Marathon and the 10-mile version of this event (they also have a 5K), and both are excellent. They are well run and fun events. The costumes of other racers are fantastic, and it is just an overall fun race. This year (I hope) this will be kind of my "victory lap" race and the even that closes out my running year.


So there it is, my race plan for 2012. It actually looks kind of respectable.

No comments:

Post a Comment